Sunday, September 11, 2011

At the Local Bakery

This morning, I went to the local bakery to buy some pandesal, the native staple bread. Since it is the only bakery nearest within our vicinity ("sitio"), the place is packed on Sundays with people buying their breakfast fare of the local bread and choice spread. The waiting time at moment was 15 to 20 mins. There's a crowd of 20 or more people when I got there, all turning in their orders of either "malambot" (soft) or "tostado" (toasted) with the corresponding amount of 10, 15 or more pesos. I put in my "trenta-trenta" meaning two orders of 30 pesos each worth of pandesal. Why the two orders of 30-peso instead of a single 60-peso order? There's some logic to this and my dad was responsible (But that's another story to be told at another time)

As I waited for my orders, I slowly became conscious of the idle talk around me; ranging from the mundane to simply comical slips of the tongue.

"Ate, bente pong pandesal." - a kid
"Sandali lang... Bumaba ka dyan... Masisira mo yan eh..." - head attendant of the bakery talking to the kid. She's a bit on the mean-side.
"Pun***a! Ang tagal naman nung babae yun. Kanina pa kami dito ah." - a man with three visibly irate kids in tow. he's referring to one of the assistant attendants who took his order.
"Kuya, ikaw ba yung binti pesos?" - the head attendant again, asking me if I ordered the 20 pesos worth of pandesal.
"Saan na kaya yung katurse?" - the head attendant yet again, asking herself who ordered the 14-peso pandesal.
"Buntis na ba siya ulit? Di nga?" - one of the women chatting away while waiting.

"Ate, dalawang Marlboro nga." - a man in a basketball outfit, apparently just came from a basketball game on the nearby street court.
"..dapat not guilty ang sabihin nya... Pag guilty, wala tayong hearing... sa Makati City Jail o Bicutan mo na siya bibisitahin.... Dalawa lang yun... guilty or always not guilty." - a neighbor with absolutely no sense of the appropriate voice volume; talking on the cellphone.
!d(-_-)b!

No comments:

Post a Comment